There is a stronger need for NFN, which has maintained its commendable role since its establishment, to make its areas of work more extensive. In the present context, at the time of political and social transition, mobilization of NGOs and civil society organizations has been more essential in the process of establishing lasting peace, resolution of various conflicts, ensuring fundamental rights and freedom of the people, chiefly by framing a new constitution. As a harbinger of awareness and education, NFN has initiated the establishment of knowledge centres in all the five Development Regions and in the national level.
Resource centre is the outcome of the concept of the common forum of civil society and civil society organizations for interaction, discussion, meeting and exchange of knowledge and information. Similarly, as knowledge centres they aim at collection, analysis and interpretation of knowledge so as to strengthen and develop democracy, peace, good governance and human rights. The resource centres will be empowered and equipped to manage a state-of-the-art library, research and publication and as an agent and coordinator of trainings and workshops for the capacity development of the stakeholders and member organizations.
The resource centres are set up for the achievement of some definite aims and objectives, of which some are listed as below:
* Collection and documentation of data and information of the NGOs.
* Bridging and coordination of ideas of the micro level with the macro level by dialogue, advocacy and lobbying for social transformation, good governance, democracy and constitution making.
* Coordination and cooperation among the government bodies, Village Development Committees, Municipalities, District Development Committees and aid agencies for the identification and tapping of local resources.
* Research, investigation, information dissemination and publication for social, political and economic development.
* Organization of meetings, trainings and workshops for the institutional development of NGOs.
* Empowerment of the local organizations and individuals by catering information in the local levels.
* Facilitating in the very local level the emergence of innovative ideas and technology concerned with development.
* Member organizations of NFN
* Social activists, campaigners, civil society and civil society organizations
* Students, researchers, development workers, politicians and lawmakers
* Donor organizations and government agencies
* Private organizations
* Youth, women, children, differently able persons, Dalits, marginalized groups and communities
* Civil society networks, organizations and federations
* Persons having interest in capacity building
* Establishment of a resource centre with a collection of data and information of the NGOs and social development campaigns
* Books, magazines, newspapers and study materials related to social development, democracy, inclusion, gender equality, federalism, social campaigns and movements available
* Publications, profiles, statistics, and audio video materials of NGOs
Residential Training Center
* Residential training centres spacious enough for 20-30 persons for training and accommodation with good ambience for cultural exchange, discussion on various issues and effectiveness of trainings.
* Meeting hall for the stakeholders to discuss on social, political and economic issues
Information and Communication Tools
* Each resource centre equipped with telephone, fax, scanner, photocopy, computer, internet, email, laser printer, book binding machine, digital camera, television, LCD projector and audio video tools and materials
Vision of National Resource Centre
Civil society organizations and the stakeholders of NFN have suggested and expressed their commitment for the establishment of a national level resource centre. Having considered this, NFN is already in the process to establish a national level state-of-the-art resource centre facilitated and strong enough to provide information and knowledge. The proposed resource centre will be facilitated and furnished with a library able to provide integrated information concerned especially with the various campaigns of the civil society. Learning environment supported with the modern means of communication, residential training centre, conference hall and meeting hall will be available in the centre.
NFN expects that this proposed resource centre will be able to involve the common people in the constitution making process by keeping the common public informed about the constitution making process and the issues concerned with this. It will make a common forum to hold discussions and dialogues, and exchange of ideas. Cooperation of the Nepal Government, civil society, I/NGOs, and the people of all walks of life has been expected to make true this vision of NFN.